Over the past 10 years, BP has invested more than $90 billion in the U.S. – more than any other energy company. BP is a leading producer of oil and gas and produces enough energy annually to light nearly the entire country for a year. Employing about 14,000 people across the country, BP supports more than 130,000 additional jobs through all of its business activities.
Notes to editors:
- BP is the largest investor in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico over the past 10 years.
- BP is one of the largest leaseholders in the Gulf with acreage in about 400 lease blocks.
- Thunder Horse is operated by BP with a 75% working interest. ExxonMobil is a partner with a 25% working interest.
- During 2016 BP successfully launched a major water injection project in its Thunder Horse field that will allow for the recovery of an additional 65 million barrels of oil equivalent.
- Field production began in 2008 from the Thunder Horse field.
- The Thunder Horse Field was discovered in 1999 and is one of BP’s largest discoveries in the Gulf of Mexico to date.
- Between 2013 and 2016, BP’s average daily production in U.S. Gulf of Mexico increased from 189,000 net barrels of oil equivalent to 264,000 net barrels.
BP Press Office, Houston +1 281 366 4463, firstname.lastname@example.org